Monday, January 28, 2008

Requiescat In Pace Karibu Books (1993-2008)

I been to Karibu Books a couple of times while I was living at UMD. Most of the time I just window shopped there. I also remember buying a book from them at the 2006 Green Festival for my mom. So it seem surprising that Karibu Books, possibly the only African-American owned and operated book chain is Going Out of Business.

Yesterday I been to the store and half of it's stock already stripped. All of the books now cost 50% of the retail price. I picked up a few books out of curiosity to see what the prices where. A strange oddity that the final novel of Harry Potter and Densha Otoko (Train Man) manga where stocked at the shop. But in the end even though I got the price of those and 5 other books I wanted to get, it was not wroth it. I could could easily get these books online at a much cheaper cost.

With competition coming from big name bookstores, independent chains such as Karibu are being pushed out of the market. And with little minority ownership in bookstores these days: No book store will possibly replace Karibu.

No comments: