Sunday, November 05, 2006

I supposed to be back early, instead Amtrak screwed me.

I planned to be back to UMD around 10:30, instead the train got into mechanical problems, waited two hours and instead the train eventually made it into Aberdeen. Amtrak had to rebook me on a 4:19pm train, and even that train was delayed. It did arrived and got on and went my way to UMD. Now I know one thing, don't trust Amtrak when it comes to punctuality, unless you're bording at the terminal stations.

This is actually the end result of America's transport policy of susidzing roads and the airplane industry, and this is what we get, a train service that has been living on life-support for most of its life and designed to fail. Not to memntion that MARC, a wonderful alternative to Amtrak, do not operate on weekdends, requiring anyone to take a day trip from Aberdeen,MD to Washington, DC to pay around $27 one-way (that's if you reserve a day in advance).Compare that to the $10 one way fare from Aberdeen to Washington DC.

If I were President, I would order the reallocation of funds from roads and airplanes to trains and public transport. Of course, don't rely on the Republicrats to do that.

In other news, this is my first post in my blog for a long time. I just had too much on my mind, regular blogging will resume tomorrow. Seriously, I'm not joking.

No comments: