Wednesday, January 31, 2007

MPT=Maryland Private Television

On New Years Day 2007 I sent the folks at MPT, Maryland's PBS station at letter. The letter is a complaint to the station that they have failed to serve the public of Maryland as a whole. As of 1/21/2007, MPT has not replied back. As such I'm posting my this as a open letter to MPT:

Dear Maryland Public Television

As much as I support public broadcasting, I do not like that fact that you already failed your purpose and mission. The first problem is that there is absolutely no programming for teenagers ages 14-17. Isn’t public broadcasting’s purpose is to serve people who do not have a voice? The closest this type programming is your MPT Kids and Family block, which offers nothing for this demographic. I also watched MPT for an entire week when I was 16, for a week I see that your programming is either for children under 12, people over age 65, or people without cable.

The second problem is that the lack of real drama. You’re a state public broadcaster, you have the money to produce real local drama, to compete with the likes of ABC, NBC, and CBS local affiliates; which produce little if any local programming except news. The only drama I see are British imported or remade from Britain. Even the classic comedy is from British imported, and it has been repeated over and over for I don’t know, over eight years! There are plenty of real British TV dramas over the years that you can pick up like Doomwatch, The Bill, and the like. Why not drama from countries other than England, like Japan, Germany, South Africa, Hong Kong, France? Seriously, with all the money you rake in with your Wayne Dryer specials you shove down my throat every month, where do you spend it on?

Finally, for years, you schedule award-winning programs such as Independent Lens, and P.O.V., at 1 am. There are rarely shown in prime time so that it will get a large following. Is it because you don’t want it to become popular since it will attract the “wrong” demographic (which are regular working class Marylanders)?

You probably would not care less about me, because I’m an undergraduate from the University of Maryland. While I’m a male, I’m not Caucasian, I’m not 35-48 years old yet, and I currently don’t earn a $60,000+ yearly salary. I don’t have money to give during your now monthly “pledge weeks” which are really infomercials for overpriced goods any consumer you can buy for over half the price. So guess what, I’m part of the wrong demographic, ergo you will not care about me, even if I’m writing this letter.
Again, where does the money you rake in from your pledge breaks go to?

So, how am I supposed support MPT if I don’t have the money to support it nor have the money to become a member? I would send in a program proposal for a locally produced drama, but you wouldn’t care. But the real question is this: What kind of public broadcaster are you that have programs that do not represent the state as a whole and have already failed your mission? Just in case you don’t know your own mission statement, here’s is the Mission portion of your Mission.Partnership.Trust statement on MPT Online:

MPT is driven by a sense of urgency to fulfill our mission to "educate, entertain and enlighten the people of Maryland -- and beyond-- through creative programs and services of the highest quality." That mission stands out like a beacon, especially today in a world of commercially centered programming. MPT continually provides mind-expanding, nonviolent, horizon-broadening television. We provide true universal access, bringing the best of the world into every living room. Any home, any person with access to a TV can be in the front row center of some of the best productions in the world, regardless of "household income" or "target audience."

Sounds like you already failed your mission.

No comments: