Monday, January 15, 2007

An Self-Aware Evegelical!? Good For Him!

Here's something you don't see everyday, a Evangelical teen who wants to learn more about the outside culture, for himself:
Leydorf had long been certain he wanted to go to a secular college -- a top secular college. He had founded the debate team, had played junior varsity soccer and was on the student disciplinary board. But what he really craved was the chance to deconstruct the religious and political beliefs with which he was raised. He'd even set aside his own "right-of-center" political leanings during his senior year and pursued an internship with Democratic U.S. Sen. Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.), "a notorious liberal," Leydorf said.

"I want to sincerely seek the truth," he said in May, "not just what you want to believe."
He also said this interesting tibit:
"For me, if I didn't believe in God, it seems that the natural conclusion is to live life as selfishly as possible," he said. "If I wasn't religious, I can certainly see living my life quite differently."
The Modern Day Prophet welcomes liberal and progressive people regardless of religous affliation, even if you are an Evangelical Christian. If I ever see him roaming UMD as a Terp I would like to interview him. If there is one advice of him, it would be this: Read the entire Bible, and learn more about it's history.

No comments: